Dr. Charlotte Morgan, D.Ac.
Acupuncture for Brain Damage from Chronic MDMA Use
• Chronic MDMA use results in universal damage to the brain.
• 94.6% of chronic users had abnormal changes in cerebral perfusion (blood flow) as well as decreased cerebral cellular function.
• Specific areas of the brain were significantly smaller and morphologically abnormal compared to non-users.
• Increased permeability of the blood-brain barrier.
🧠 The Study:
• Using a SPECT (single-photon emission computed tomography), researchers compared a healthy control group with a chronic MDMA user group.
• Both groups received acupuncture treatments at LI4, LI11, ST36, Sp6 bilaterally with electroacupuncture.
• Electroacupuncture can reverse the impact that MDMA has had to the brain by increasing cerebral blood perfusion, activating brain cell vitality and metabolism, and by accelerating the repair of damaged cells.
• Acupuncture improves conditions where there is decreased cerebral perfusion and brain functional activity in the frontal, temporal, and occipital lobes in MDMA users.
• The blood flow functional changing rate (BFCR) was increased by 68.8% in participants.
• Acupuncture restores symmetry in bilateral anterior insular cortex-basal ganglia-temporal regions related to cerebral perfusion and functional activity.
All in all... acupuncture is incredible. Please don't hesitate to message/contact me for questions about this study or anything acu related.
Charlotte Morgan, M.S. L.Ac.